Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Driving Across Wyoming


I planned to leave early to try to make it across most of Wyoming and my host assured me that that was no problem, he was getting up to go deer hunting at 5:30 and would be back around 7 to make me waffles. I, not wanting to insult my host, agreed that waffles would be an excellent way to start my journey. And when I went to the kitchen this morning before 7 I watched the deer walking across his yard and up the hillside behind his house. And true to his word, he made me waffles before I left. He also gave me some advice on scenic back roads to Devil’s Tower. I was most grateful as the drive was a beautiful one. Actually the whole day has been so amazingly beautiful. Truly a gift from God. Over the Big Horns, through Wind River Canyon and across the plains. I doubted myself when I got into some snow in the dark after Dubois… I didn’t know if I should stop there or not… but found a lodge on the other side of the pass and have a cozy little cabin nestled in the trees and frosted with snow in which to begin writing the end of my great journey with a cup of hot chocolate to keep me and my reflections company.

This is the scene that I awoke to on Monday morning. I do have more reflections to come, but will give you a break and fill you in the the rest in the next day or so.

5 comments:

Marie VW said...

I really like your pictures... looks like I'm looking at a coffee table book of the US. Pretty cool, Carrie! I just got back from long weekend in Kodiak. I am dropping off my pictures to Kits today and hopefully will have some posted tomorrow. Love you lots and miss you!

rubyslipperlady said...

That is too much snow, but lovely. We had 70 degree weather yesterday and 45 today. WHAT?!

Enjoy the rest of the journey!

Anonymous said...

You've seen "space encounters of the third kind" right? Seeing Devil's tower makes me think of the scene where he forms his mash potatoes into the famous landmark. Did you see any alien activity? Just kidding :) The shots are gorgeous - keep them coming. Maybe you should make a pilot for your own travel channel show or something...

Anonymous said...

hi carrie!...just wanted to let you know that i'm a faithful fan of your blog. i just got one of my own (should i say another one?) that i'll be updating as soon as i can figure it all out. check it out! http://mamaktbug.blogspot.com/

katie

Friar Tuck said...

SNOW SNOW GO AWAY