Friday, March 24, 2006

Hearts and knives

This week has been nothing of what I planned or expected...

Monday at noon my mom called me at work to tell me that my dad was in the ER with symptoms of a heart attack. I drove home and picked her up and we went into the hospital on Elmendorf Airforce Base. Dad was hooked up to all kinds of machines and sheepishly told us that he had been having pain in his arms and chest for 2 weeks. Mom was livid.

He stayed two nights there as they did tests and observations. They didn't have a cardiac unit so they were unable to make a total diagnosis. They sent him to the big hospital in Anchorage where he had an angiogram and they admitted him for a triple-heart bypass to be done in the next 48 hours. He wasn't allowed to leave the hospital. So Thursday night my grandma and aunt flew in from Kansas and we woke early this morning to see him before he went to surgery. He was done by 11am and it was good. They only did a double bypass and it went very well. I went into recovery as he woke up and talked to him. He was very lucid and acknowleged everything I said to him. I knew he would be ok when as I was leaving at 3:30pm he was telling jokes.

God had been very good. Thank you to all who prayed for us. Today was a little surreal and much easier that I ever expected. I know that God had his hand in it all.

Won't it be interesting to see what God brings next week...

4 comments:

Anita said...

Hey friend, praise the Lord that his surgery was so smooth! May his recovery be speedy and may he be able to lay low and heal completely! Will continue to be praying for that. Also that your next week will not be as eventful.

JD girl

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to get the update on your blog today. I've been praying and wondering all week/end. Thank God so much for the outcome, but also for your peace! Keep those jokes coming, Dad! Love - Kim

Anonymous said...

YEA!!! I am so glad your dad did well through all that! Now you and your mom get to make him behave as he does the recovering thing. Hang in there, o-friend-of-mine. Praying for your dad's healing and recovery, for your mom as she gets to change your dad's ways of living and that she will be strong through it all (and that she will make sure to take care of herself), and for you as you are a support to both of your parents. And of course for your sibs as they have to deal with this from afar. okay, can I make this any longer? lc

rubyslipperlady said...

I love you, my friend. Praise the Lord!