Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Week in Review

It is amazing to think that I haven't updated my blog for a week. I am sure that you have all been on the edge of your seats awaiting the travel journals of Carrie. My sincere apologies to all my faithful readers. And by my comments I see that I have some new readers... welcome to my world.

I left you in Jefferson City, MO. On Monday I traveled back to Kansas, spent a few hours working on projects for Aunt Cindy, and headed across town to spend some time with more family. I didn't get to visit Aunt Laila and family on my previous stop in Kansas so it was fun to spend some time with them. Laila had a fun girl day on Tuesday, going out for coffee, getting pedicures (the fanciest I have had yet... pictures coming), and then out for lunch. In the evening we carved pumpkins before the kids went to bed. On Wednesday I headed back over to help Aunt Cindy finish her projects and stayed one last night with them. Thursday Grandma and I went out to lunch before I headed across town to Laila's again as I planned to leave from her house the next morning on my next leg of the journey. After playing phone tag with cousin Evie, it worked out for me to see her on my way back to the ranch.

So Friday morning I headed out once again. This time north for 8 hours from Wichita to Souix Falls, SD. All interstate, I must admit, fortunately I had a few books on cd to break up the monotony. Evie and I had a wonderful evening of catching up and some wonderful Italian food. It is so fun to get to know your cousins as adults... especially when I was always so much older.

Saturday I climbed back in my car and headed west across South Dakota. I like to describe my trip plans as 'as the spirit moves'... and that was true of this leg. I saw a sign on the interstate for the Laura Ingalls Wilder house in DeSmet, SD and turned north. I found the homestead, which by the looks of it would be crawling with tourists in the summer, and was the only car in the parking lot. The visitor center was closed but all of the buildings were open and maps on a table on the porch. So I did the self guided tour. It was very well done with lots of explanations in each of the buildings. I thoroughly enjoyed having the place to myself and indulging in some photos. (pictures coming soon) I headed west again on small highways (so much more interesting). The skies were quite breath taking and I pulled over more than once to take a few photos. I eventually made it to the ranch just at dusk and in time to take a few sunset pictures.

Sunday was a beautiful 70 degree day. Probably the last they will have this year as the temperatures dropped into the teens Monday with some snow flurries. I rode with Grandma and Grandpa to Sundance, WY for a great-aunt's 80th birthday party. It was fun to catch up with some cousins I hadn't seen since I was in middle school, and meet a few I had never met. We were back at dark and Aunt Beth had asked if I would come to youth group at their house that evening to talk about some of my missions trips. It was a fun evening of being around high schoolers again. Makes me miss all of my 'kids' up in AK.

Monday was frigid as the wind chill was close to zero. Grandma and I worked on her computer some and washed windows (on the inside, fortunately). In the afternoon I went over to see another cousin and his new wife. It was so fun to catch up on their lives.

It is such a blessing to be able to see family and friends. I am truly blessed to be able to do this trip. My life is so rich for having so many family and friends to love and be loved.

PS Sorry that there are no pictures on this post ... Grandma has dial up...

6 comments:

Sodak Girl said...

Hey Girl-
Thanks for keeping us posted! I'll look forward to those photos when you get next to something-faster-than-dialup! Too bad you didn't get a shot of my toes, too!
Well, the pirate and the old lady are all geared up for Halloween. Thanks for all your time with us. Lewis wanted to know when you were coming back. He decided you should come at least once a month!
Love, LIB

Anonymous said...

Please give everyone hugs and kisses from us.

Shane, Kristi, Kelli and Daniel

rubyslipperlady said...

toes! toes! I want pictures of the toes!

rubyslipperlady said...

darn, I was hoping that your comment on my blog meant you had pictures of your toes on yours. sigh.

Sodak Girl said...

Okay, now those are some pretty cool toes! They look sort of like mine... :) Great photo!

rubyslipperlady said...

Love the toes!